Friday, January 20, 2006

a mid-winter's break


I'd like to tell you what I've heard:

Did you catch that? Neither did I, so I'm going to take a little bit of time off (one, two weeks maybe) and listen in to what others are saying (or not saying). When I come back I hope to write some more about the more critical areas surrounding the potential changes to the Statement of Faith. You may notice that "She Must and Shall Stay Free" was called (part one); I think I've got at least a part two and a part three in me somewhere. I've only talked about the millenial issue once; so I expect to return to that rather substantial issue.

I suppose that for some this is only a fad, something that's fun to dabble with but then it gets over-played and over-hyped and then it's on to something else (I hear pet rocks are making a comeback). Well, the EFCA as a denomination means more to me than that and the local church is a whole lot more than that so I'll be sticking around for a bit longer...

The Freechurchman

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi there, Mr. Freechurchman. Just got back from Apple Valley yesterday (Friday). We were blessed to get out of O'Hare, as it began snowing wet snow again as we taxied to the runway.

Quite a conference! Be looking for a personal report from me. I plan to write one report for my own congregation, and then a more technical report for the EFC pastors in our local cluster, as well as others I met at the forum. This will be a private reflection from me, not something that represents any sort of district opinion.

I can tell you issues that clearly crystallized over the three days:

1. Technically, is the revision too long and wordy? [many said it was]

2. Is the repeated 'God's Gospel' structure forced and artificial?

3. Should a SOF contain only 'Gospel essentials', or is it legit to also contain related doctrines and special distinctives (that last bit is the flash-point)?

4. Should we retain or drop Pre-millennialism as a requirement for membership, ordination, and professorship? ...with arguments pro and con ensuing.

5. The more Arminian-minded brothers are worried that the Reformed are taking over, and since almost all the big adjustments in the new SOF are toward Calvinism, this was a tension I didn't anticipate -- but it's out there, rumbling along under the surface.

I participated at the mic quite a bit -- probably too much -- but received a great deal of support, in the halls and at the lunch table from other pastors, for the specific things I said. Of course, the others who thought I was all wet probably wouldn't have rushed up to talk to me like the ones who liked what I said, so I know this could be misleading.

Jack Brooks
seniorpastor@gefchurch.org

Saturday, January 21, 2006 9:50:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Catch any fish, FCM?

Saturday, January 28, 2006 3:48:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home