Friday, December 23, 2005

Who's that a writing?


If you’re like me you may be fumbling through the pages of Revelation these days as part of one of the many read-the-entire-Bible-in-a-year programs. John’s Apocalypse is always confusing, but always a blessing! I’m convinced that a fundamental mark of all believers and all true churches is a yearning for the blessed hope, the return of Jesus Christ. If our hearts don’t accelerate when Jesus tells us that he is coming soon then we need to call an ambulance and hope they’re carrying some syringes full of Atropine.

So when I read, in what I’m touting as the very best EFCA Today to hit the newsstands in its printing history, the emphasis of eschatology in our everyday lives it makes me very excited about the state of our churches. The theme comes up several times, to include Bill Kynes article, “The Gospel We have Embraced”, the pastor of Cornerstone EFC in Annandale, Virginia takes some time to make a few confessions.

Pastor Kynes admits,

“Living out the truth of the gospel is not easy. I struggle particularly with the biblical notion of “inaugurated eschatology” – that is, that in the gospel, the age to come has already dawned…. as those united with Christ, we are already seated with Him in the heavenly realms (Ephesians 2:6); that we have been given every spiritual blessing in Christ (Ephesians 1:3); and that we have died to sin, so that it no longer has power over us (Romans 6:1-10).
These are theological truths, but I struggle with how they are to be fleshed out. I see too little power to overcome sin, I see too little power to overcome sin, too little resurrection life in our midst. I want to have more of the ‘already,’ even as we await the glory that is still to come.”

Catching a glimpse of the coming Kingdom can be equally delightful and frustrating. We pray that His Kingdom will come, and when He gives us a sweet taste of it we naturally want more. But then there’s the not-yet, the fact that though the Kingdom has been consummated we must still wait for it to arrive in its entirety.

Good intentions aside, I think our brothers who wrote the current proposed Revision to the Statement of Faith fault in wanting something that we can’t have this side of the eschaton: a visible Catholic Church. If you have not yet read the proposal then read it and judge for yourself. I’ll be reading Evangelical Truth by John Stott, The Church: One Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic by Richard D. Phillips, Philip G. Ryken, and Mark E. Dever, One Faith: The Evangelical Consensus by J.I. Packer and Thomas C. Oden, and Revelation by John the servant of Jesus Christ.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tim Etherington said...

First, I have to sheepishly admit that I am behind in my Bible reading program so I haven't hit Revelation yet. :-0

Second, I can't wait to get there. I love that book even though I don't understand it all!!

Third, some day if I get to plant a church after seminary I plan on leading the core group on a Bible study of Revelation 1-3 not to figure out which letter is/would be addressed to the Church in America, but to understand what it is that Jesus wants his church to do and not to do.

Third point 5, that number three was a long sentance!

Forth, I haven't gotten the latest EFCA Today, I'll have to stop by school on the way home tomorrow after work and pick one up.

Monday, December 26, 2005 10:21:00 PM  
Blogger Sean Dennis said...

Sounds like a good plan Tim. I hope that your schooling at TEDS naturally leads you toward the EFCA, I'm confident it will prepare you to teach the whole counsel of God.

Tuesday, December 27, 2005 2:16:00 PM  
Blogger Tim Etherington said...

Thanks FCM. Honestly, I think changing the SoF will help the Free Church. I love the Free Church approach of "Believers only but all believers" and "unity in truth and charity in non-essentials". I hope the changes to the SoF reflect these core values. I only wish I could be more involved in helping form the SoF.

Wednesday, December 28, 2005 10:20:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home